A guest episode with Graphic Novelist Sophocles Sapounas about books, drawing, reading, and artistic processes. Sophocles is a super cool comic author with a post-apocalyptic series called Not Alone. We chat about learning to draw and Kelsey (who can’t draw good stick figures) learns that there is hope for her yet. Sophocles talks about how he taught himself to draw, what inspired his comic series, and who he loves to read. We debate what qualifies as art (I think we can all agree that Ewan McGregor’s fluffy beard as Obi-Wan Kenobi qualifies).
Welcome to Read.Write.Repeat.
April’s giveaway is sponsored by author Dana Fraedrich. This month’s winner will receive a signed copy of both of Dana’s soon to be released Steampunk Novel, Raven’s Cry and an adorable, steampunk inspired key bookmark. We explain more about how the giveaway works toward the end of the show notes. Read more about Dana’s giveaway here.
Listeners weigh in:
What is one art form you’ve always dreamed of mastering?
Let us know in the comments section below, or by tagging us on social media! Your response might be featured in an upcoming show and you will be entered into our monthly giveaway!
Books, quirks, and intrigues, oh my!
Sophocles tells us about his project:
- What is it about?
- What inspired it?
- What were some of the challenges in writing it?
We have a few questions we always like to ask:
- What book, graphic novel, comic or short story do you recommend every writer read?
- The book I recommend people to read is either Philip Pullman’s ‘His Dark Materials’ trilogy for most people, and Niko Kazantzakis’ ‘Zorba The Greek.” for writers and creators of all types.
Book links to come. We didn’t have time to grab a list of the books we discussed and links to those on Powell’s, but we will update these Show Notes later this week with those, so check back in! In the meantime, check out all of these great articles by and about Sophocles:
Connect and Win!!
- Don’t forget to enter our giveaway! April’s giveaway is sponsored by author Dana Fraedrich. This month’s winner will receive a signed copy of both of Dana’s soon to be released Steampunk Novel, Raven’s Cry and an adorable, steampunk inspired key bookmark.
- To enter, simply follow us and tag us in a bookish photo or comment on Instagram, Twitter, or Facebook, or leave us a comment on our show notes!
- You can find other Giveaways on the giveaways tab and in the Give us a Shout tab on our website. Be sure to check those out. We ship worldwide, so don’t hesitate to enter our giveaway.
- If anything sparked an idea for you, or you have thoughts or ideas about what we should discuss next. Let us know. Fill out our survey for a chance to win cool prizes!
Connect with us:
Thanks for listening to Read.Write.Repeat! Talk with you next time!